Honor Vets – They need you today – Happy Memorial Day
Memorial Day in the United States is more than just another long weekend. It is a day to honor those vets that serve and have served our country for the freedoms we all value. You may wonder, “what can I do?” to honor vets and make a difference.
First a few staggering statistics…
- 25% of the homeless in America are Vets.
- 95% of these homeless Vets suffer from PTSD.
- According to Jimmy McCain of HonorVet, the suicide rate for those Vets that do not know God is over 70%. For those who do know God, it drops to 2%.
So what can you do?
- Love on anyone you know who served or is serving in the military. Love is a powerful force.
- Love on their families.
- Share your faith. Sharing your faith can help save lives.
- Connect them with job opportunities when they complete their service. Perhaps you know of opportunities where you can facilitate an introduction.
- Help them get help. If you know someone in need of immediate professional help, you can connect them with the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 (Press option 1.)
Happy Memorial Day. To all those who serve and all of our Veterans – Thank you! We pray for God’s blessings on you and your family for your service!
How do I know if someone needs help with PTSD? Read more here. Click here for an anonymous online screening tool for PTSD.